Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Have you put on weight?

Yesterday lunchtime, amongst the other minging foodstuffs on my tray, were two giant balls of konnyaku. Bbbbllllleeerrk!

Now, in small amounts, or in miso soup, I can eat this, but in big balls? No thank you! So I left them. All the teachers laughed at me coz they can't believe that anyone wouldn't want to eat this stuff.

So, for you guys at home, I looked up the definition of konnyaku and I got 'root nodule bacteria'. Not quite, but it does definitely taste like it could be that. LOL! It's a jelly that is made from the starch from the bulb of some plant. It has absolutely no taste at all and is just a chewy lump.

The school secretary was telling me how lots of women eat it coz it's great diet food. This does not surprise me! It doesn't really have any nutritional value at all. But it does expand in your digestive system making you feel full, and it also cleans toxins out of your intestines. Yuck! Gross but true!

Anyway, this talk of diets prompted the school nurse to ask me if I had put on weight since coming to Japan. I told her that yes, I have, to which she gave the response 'I thought so'. WHAAAAAAT! However, she continued to say that this was a good thing and that if I lost any weight whilst in Japan, as the school nurse, it would be her problem, so please don't do it. I had to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment